Kathleen P. King, Ed. D.
Professor of Education
Author/Editor, Keynote Speaker, Certified Coach, and Consultant
University of Central Florida: Department of Children, Family and Community Services
- Ed.D. Higher Education, Widener University, Chester, PA, 1997. Dissertation Title: Examining Learning Activities that Promote Perspective Transformation among Adult Learners in Higher Education.
- M. Ed. Adult Education, Widener University, Chester, PA, 1994.
- 20+ Credits Engineering, Pennsylvania Institute of Technology, Media, PA, 1990-1991
- M.A. Missions, Columbia International University, Columbia, SC, 1983.
- B.A. Biochemistry, Brown University, Providence, RI, 1981.
- Certification, Online Course Development, UCF, Center for Distributed Learning (2016).
- IRB Certificate, CITI, Protection of Human Subjects (2017, 2016: UCF; 2015, 2014, 2010: USF; 2009: CITI).
- Certified Online Educator. ATLE at USF. Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) (2014).
- CPC, Certified Professional Coach, Coaching Institute International. Personal and professional life coaching certification. California. (June, 2009)
- CE, Engineering Technologies, State of New Jersey.
- IC3, Internet and Computing Core Certification, Certiport (Certiport.com: American Fork, Utah) (2005: Computing Fundamentals, Key Applications, Online)
- IC3, Internet and Computing Core Certified Trainer and Proctor, Certiport (Certiport.com: American Fork, Utah)
- Visiting Professor, Friedrich-Schiller University of Jena, Jena, Germany, 2013- 2014.
- Honorary Visiting Professor, Nankai University, College of Business, Tianjin, People’s Republic of China, 2012-present.
- Hall of Fame, International Adult and Continuing Education, University of Oklahoma, 2011.
- American Educational Research Association’s (AERA) Outstanding Research Publication Award. Presented to K. P. King and J Griggs for their book Harnessing Innovative Technologies for Higher Education. AERA Division I: Professional Development in the Professions, 2009.
- Outstanding Alumni and Humanitarian Award, Pennsylvania Institute of Technology, 2010.
- Robert J. Menges Honored Research Award: P. A. Lawler and K. P. King for international higher education research. Professional, Organizational Development Network of Higher Education, 2003.
- Outstanding Graduate Student, Center for Education: Lehnert Memorial Award, Widener University, 1997.
- Kappa Delta Pi Honor Society, 1996, Widener University Chapter.
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, 1995, Widener University Chapter.
PROFESSIONAL AWARDS/HONORS/TITLES/RECOGNITION (Selected)
- TAA Council of Fellows, Textbook and Academic Authors, 2017.
- Senior Research Leadership Mentor, University of Southern Queensland’s Research Leadership Development Program, Queensland, Australia, 2013-2016.
- Outstanding Leadership and Service Award- New York Association of Continuing Community Education (NYACCE) (2009). Recognition of outstanding research and publication in adult literacy, service to adult literacy educators, digital media and professional development, and global leadership.
- Outstanding Book Award AERA Division I 2009 (American Educational Research Association). For book Harnessing Innovative Technologies in Higher Education published by Atwood Publishing.
- Conversations in Lifelong Learning (In Production-2008). Conversations on Lifelong Learning is a video series of interviews with leaders in the field of adult education; a 30 minute interview profiles of Dr. King’s life and research. (University of Alaska at Anchorage and Dr Gretchen Bersch)
- Frandson Book Award, (2007).University Continuing Education Association, Alexandria, VA received in Vancouver, BC. For the outstanding publication in the field of continuing education for year 06-07: Harnessing Innovative Technologies in Higher Education: Access, Equity, Policy & Instruction.
- North American Adult Educators: Phyllis M. Cunningham Archive of Quintessential Autobiographies for the 21 st Century. (2007 Recognition). One of only 50 adult educators highlighted in this volume. Armstrong, K. B., Nabb, L. W., & Czech, A. P. (eds.). North American Adult Educators: Phyllis M. Cunningham archive of quintessential autobiographies for the 21 st century. (pp. 177-182).Chicago: Discovery Association Publishing House.
- Multi-Platinum Status of Distance Learning and Research Initiative. (2007). Dr. Kathleen P. King, Mark Gura and Dr. Barbara P. Heuer. (July 2007)
- Lawrence S. Levin Achievement Award (2006) New York Association of Continuing Community Education (NYACCE), 55 th Annual NYACCE Conference, May 9, 2006.
- First Lego League Award for Outstanding Support of Bronx Student Robotics Teams In Public Schools, NYC, January 28-29, 2006. (RETC: Gura, King & Robinson.)
- POD Innovation Award, Professional, Development, and Organizational Development Network in Higher Education, October, 2005. (King & Gura).
- Creative Use of Technology Award, Association of Continuing Higher Education, 2002.
- Administrator of the Year Award, Phi Delta Kappa, Fordham Chapter, 2002.
- Highlighted in alma mater alumni magazine: Purcell, J. E. (2001). Widener Magazine 13(1), 7.
- Biographical Recognition Listings: Dictionary of International Biography, (28th ed.), 1999; International Who’s Who of Professional & Business Women, (3rd ed.), 1999; Who’s Who in America, (51st-60th ed), 1997-2005; Who’s Who in American Education, (5th -7th ed.), 1995, 2004-6. Listed in Who’s Who of American Women, (21st ed.), 1998, etc.
INTERNATIONAL PHD EXTERNAL REVIEWER
- Qirezi, Bardha. (2016). National University of Ireland (NUI), Galway, Ireland. Topic: Transformative learning experiences of international students from Kosovo. Mentor: Anne Walsh [PhD]
- Mitchell, Maxine. (2016). University of Southern Queensland, Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia. Topic: Learning mobility in professional practice: Transforming workplace learning in higher education. Mentor: Shirley Reushle [PhD]
- Nantais, Michael. (2014). University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. Topic: Transformative learning. [PhD]
- Heaton, Adam. (2014). Charles Darwin University, Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia. Topic: Transformative learning action research. [PhD]
- McAliney, Peter. (2011). New York University, PhD Steinhardt School. Topic: Perspective Transformation. Mentor: Bridget O’Conner. [PhD]
- Rossi, Dolene. (2010). University of Southern Queensland, Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia. Topic: Online learning relationships in undergraduate course. Mentors: Shirley Reushle, Patrick Danaher. [PhD]
- Kitchenham, Andrew. (2007). Graduate Research School, James Cook University, Australia. Doctoral dissertation topic: Teachers and technology: A transformative journey. [PhD]
- Reushle, Sandra. (2005). University of Southern Queensland, Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia. Doctoral dissertation topic: Adult learning in distance learning. [EdD]
- 2015- present: Program Area Coordinator, Professor, and major professor/chair in PhD and EdD Higher Education degree programs; CFCS Department, College of Education and Human Performance, University of Central Florida, Orlando.
- 2010- 2015: Professor and chair in PhD/EdD Higher Education degree programs; Adult, Career and Higher Education Department, College of Education, University of South Florida, Tampa.
- 2003- 2010: Professor, Program Director, M.S. Adult Education and Human Resource Development Degree (1997-present) Professor and major professor in LLL PHD degree program; Director, Regional Educational Technology Center (2003-2007); Grant Director, FIPSE Learning Anytime Anywhere Partnership & Instructional Technology Professional Development (1999-2005); Grant Director EETT (2003-2007); Grant Director FIPSE II (2004-2005). Fordham University Graduate School of Education, New York, NY. [Tenured 2003]
- 2001 -2003: Associate Professor, Program Director, M.S. Adult Education and Human Resource Development Degree; Director, Regional Educational Technology Center; Grant Director, FIPSE Learning Anytime Anywhere Partnership & Instructional Technology Professional Development Fordham University Graduate School of Education, New York, NY. [Tenured 2003]
- 1997-2001: Assistant Professor, Program Director, M.S. ADEDHRD Degree; Grant Director, Instructional Technology Professional Development, Fordham University Graduate School of Education, New York, NY.
- 1992-1997: Instructor, Pennsylvania Institute of Technology, Media, PA.
- 1997: Adjunct Faculty, Center for Education, Widener University, Chester, PA.
- 1996-1997: Adjunct Faculty, Graduate Education, Holy Family College, Philadelphia, PA.
- 1995-1996: Coordinator of Continuing Education at the Pennsylvania Institute of Technology, Media, PA.
- 1991-1997: Consultant: Computer and educational consulting.
SPECIALIZED PROFESSIONAL TRAINING
- Student Success and High Impact Practices (HIP), Dr. George Kuh, Hosted at USF, Tampa, FL, 2014.
- Developing Institutional Strategies for Growing Global Research, Association of International Education Administrators (AIEA), 2-Day Conference, Hosted at USF, Tampa, FL, 2014.
- Mixed Data Analysis Techniques: American Educational Research Association (AERA), 2-Day PD & Training (16 hrs certif.). Onwuegbuzie, A., Collins, K. M. T., Leech, N., & Slate, J. R., 2008.
- Business Plan Development Training. Washington State. 2009.
- Virtual Environments in Education: Second Life for Virtual Learning, MUVE: ISTE, 2008.